Thursday, August 4, 2011

An Intern's Reflection

As an intern at Tuesday’s Children, I have had quite the emotionally moving summer with regards to the research I have done, and people I have worked with.  But there is no way I could have been prepared for what I was to encounter at Project COMMON BOND.  The program was one of the main reasons I was so interested in applying for a position at Tuesday’s Children, and being invited to help out at PCB seemed to be the icing on the cake for my summer intern experience.  In all honesty though, it wasn’t.  It was so much more.  Project COMMON BOND and everyone I came in contact with have truly changed my life.  I was so moved by the strength and openness of the participants, the care and thoughtfulness of the facilitators, and the engaging demeanor of the counselors.  I cannot think of a time when I was more greatly impacted on such a powerful level and in such a short amount of time.


One of the most amazing aspects of the program is how everyone manages to make such a deep and intense connection to those around them despite the weeklong time constraint, the planned activities and group assignments.  Most of all, the language barriers that no doubt existed in several situations, were ultimately tiny matters compared to the care and support that were far from constrained.  I witnessed young men and women, most only a few years younger than I, create lasting bonds and move towards peace in a way incomparable to any effort I have ever seen before.  These young people have left the largest imprint on my heart and my mind; I know I will never forget this experience.


In future years, I would be wasting my time if I did anything else during the week of PCB other than attend as a counselor or volunteer in some way.  I have met the most amazing people from all over the world, many whose countries are still in conflict and in some cases with the home countries of other participants.  For these youth to be able to attain a level of understanding and compassion great enough to exist in peace – and make strides to building peace in the future – at this program is an unbelievable feat.  Project COMMON BOND, a necessary program under the worst circumstances, is the most phenomenal and life-changing experience I have ever been a part of.  The discussions, games, and peace-building talks and activities have the power to bridge gaps across oceans and lands for the generation of our future, and PCB supplies this opportunity to heal and promote peace.


Tara Greeley
PCB Counselor 2011
TC Intern, Summer 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment